Reply To: New Sightings

Our U3A Forums Birdwatching Forum New Sightings Reply To: New Sightings

Kay BullenKay Bullen
Participant

A few notes about this last week 1-7th Feb:

1st Feb – Along North Hill Road to Burgundy Chapel Car Park circuit.  Very misty and a dampness in the air.   A little snow on North Hill especially in patches where Snowmen once stood.

Saw Buzzard and Raven and heard a number of Jays in different places, otherwise very quiet.

3rd Feb – Allerford, Stoates Farm, to St Agnes Fountain, up to The Cross, across just below Bury Castle, over Holnicote Combe towards Selworthy and return via St Agnes again.  A little wet underfoot but not as bad as some other places.

Fairly quiet, although Ravens were very raucous, Buzzard flew below us down Holnicote Combe, lots of little birds that would not keep still long enough to identify, except the Long Tailed Tit family.  Jay was heard but not seen.  Because I have not been able to get out with others from the group I am losing my bird call id knowledge, it was not very good anyway, but as always those in the group with good call recognition would always help.  Can’t wait to hear my first Chiffchaff of the year also the Skylarks and then the Cuckoo.

4th Feb – rain stops play

5th Feb – Moor Wood, Jim’s Path, Bratton Ball, Hill Road View/Trig point back to Moor Wood

Weather not good, Raven, Long Tailed Tits and other feeding groups of small birds seen.  Chaffinch and Song Thrush both singing and Jay heard.

6th Feb – Nutcombe Bottom Car Park – to Croydon Hill (Hare carving) circuit

Not a lot to see, chosen because of the firm surface of the main tracks, so not too muddy, although some areas may be off limits because of logging.  Raven overhead, highlight 7 Red Deer crossing the track near the Hare carving.