Reply To: New Sightings

Our U3A Forums Birdwatching Forum New Sightings Reply To: New Sightings

Kay BullenKay Bullen
Participant

More notes from my walks:

15th March – Manor Road, Long Combe (Alcombe), Oway Corner, return down Long Combe.

Started overcast but then picked up.  Grey Wagtail, Tree Creeper and Raven seen from Long Combe.  On the top of Hopcott another Tree Creeper, Blue Tits & Coal Tits seen, Great Tit heard.  Difficult to see birds in the tall Fir Trees but various Tits heard, Wrens, Robins & Blackbirds singing and a Buzzard heard overhead.

Forestry works above the Hopcott car park, some paths closed to walkers, path to Oway very muddy due to heavy vehicle access.

17th March – North Hill, Selworthy Beacon, Bury Castle, The Cross & Jacob’s Ladder

A very quiet walk, Skylarks singing and Ravens overhead.

18th March – Holnicote Estate (Beaver enclosure), Chapel Cross and back towards Piles Mill.

No Beavers, Blue & Great Tits, Buzzard, Heron flew overhead, Song Thrush singing and Pheasant, Jay & Green Woodpecker also heard.

Lots of primroses and first Comma butterfly of the year.

19th March – Nutcombe Bottom, Black Ball, Gallox Hill, Bats Castle, Withycombe Hill Gate, along top edge of King’s Head Coppice to Bonnington Gate and back to car park.

Grey Wagtail, Goldcrest, pair Great Spotted Woodpeckers (Gallox Hill), 3 Buzzards plus Green Woodpeckers heard plus on Gallox Hill a Tawny Owl calling.

20th March – Bossington Beach, Lime Kilns towards Porlock.

Nothing of note in car park (Firecrests were seen last year) House Sparrows, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Pheasants and 12 Magpies in a single field, from lane going down to Bossington Beach with Heron flying over.  Lime Kiln to long boardwalk, Little Egret, 5 x Redshank, 2 Shelduck, lone Teal (male) 2x Wigeon possible Reed Bunting (no Snow Bunting which was here last year and I think also this winter).

Lots of rabbits.

Black Redstart is still visiting my garden.