Reply To: New Sightings

Our U3A Forums Birdwatching Forum New Sightings Reply To: New Sightings

Kay BullenKay Bullen
Participant

Walks this week commencing Saturday 9th January:

9th Jan – a short walk from Dunster Beach towards Blue Anchor.  Tide well on its way in.

On the sea were large numbers of Wigeon & Shelduck.  Along the shoreline, Oystercatchers, Turnstones and Dunlin and a selection of Gulls.  In the fields were Wood Pigeons, Rooks and Crows.  Not so many small birds, Blue Tits, Dunnock, Blackbird, Robin, Wren, Chaffinch and lots of Pied Wagtails.  Chalet area is closed but some Mallards were on the grass near the toilet block.

10th to 14th  no walks

15th Jan – Walking mainly in the woods at the far end of North Hill near the Cross.

Saw Green Woodpecker, Stonechat, Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Buzzard a pair of Collared Doves plus regulars and Jay & Great Spotted Woodpecker heard.

16th Jan – a walk to Alcombe Common, Youth Hostel & up Long Combe.

Saw 3 Buzzards, I think the reason I am not seeing many recently is they seem to have stopped calling so I am not looking skyward for them.  Also seen, Long Tailed Tits, Goldfinches, Great Spotted Woodpecker and the regulars, heard Jay, Raven and Green Woodpecker.  Snowdrops out just passed Dunster Lodge by the Quarry hazel catkins also on their way.