New Sightings

Our U3A Forums Birdwatching Forum New Sightings

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Kay BullenKay Bullen
    Participant

Hi Everyone – prior to the new U3A web site going on line I am testing the bird watching forum.  Let me know of any new sighting you have had on recent walks or visits.  Have you had any sightings of thrushes, what about waders on the Levels.

Viewing 14 replies - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Kay BullenKay Bullen
    Participant

Walks this week commencing Saturday 9th January:

9th Jan – a short walk from Dunster Beach towards Blue Anchor.  Tide well on its way in.

On the sea were large numbers of Wigeon & Shelduck.  Along the shoreline, Oystercatchers, Turnstones and Dunlin and a selection of Gulls.  In the fields were Wood Pigeons, Rooks and Crows.  Not so many small birds, Blue Tits, Dunnock, Blackbird, Robin, Wren, Chaffinch and lots of Pied Wagtails.  Chalet area is closed but some Mallards were on the grass near the toilet block.

10th to 14th  no walks

15th Jan – Walking mainly in the woods at the far end of North Hill near the Cross.

Saw Green Woodpecker, Stonechat, Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Buzzard a pair of Collared Doves plus regulars and Jay & Great Spotted Woodpecker heard.

16th Jan – a walk to Alcombe Common, Youth Hostel & up Long Combe.

Saw 3 Buzzards, I think the reason I am not seeing many recently is they seem to have stopped calling so I am not looking skyward for them.  Also seen, Long Tailed Tits, Goldfinches, Great Spotted Woodpecker and the regulars, heard Jay, Raven and Green Woodpecker.  Snowdrops out just passed Dunster Lodge by the Quarry hazel catkins also on their way.

Kay BullenKay Bullen
    Participant

Black Redstart (female or juv) – still around and seen today in my garden, I had not seen it for a while.  I understand that one has been seen regularly on the rooves behind Quay Inn and along Northfield Road.  I also understand the Mediterranean Gull is in its usual place with the Black Headed Gulls by Ship Aground.

Happy Birding

Kay BullenKay Bullen
    Participant

Notes about some of my recent walks:

31st December – Whitecross to Reservoir to Bratton Ball to Woodcombe to Whitecross

I was lucky enough to finish my year with a New Year’s Eve walk and had really great views of a Green Woodpecker, feeding in a field at Bratton, it was quite close and I watched for perhaps 10 minutes.  On the same walk birds of particular interest were a Treecreeper, Jays, a Goldcrest and a number of Redwings.

1st January 2021 – Ellicombe to Grabbist to Hole’s Corner and back down to Ellicombe

My New Year walk today included several Bullfinches (Ellicombe) including a beautiful male.  The Crossbills mentioned by Tim were seen a little further along from Hole’s Corner – I estimate by Oway Corner.

2nd January 2021 – Selworthy (top car park by church) to Memorial Hut (North Hill) to Cross to Bury Castle and back to Selworthy.

Near the top of North Hill (furthest car park) were several Goldcrest (lovely close up views in brambles alongside the footpath) and a Treecreeper.

3rd to 6th – too cold.

7th Hopcott area – nothing of note.

Kay BullenKay Bullen
    Participant

Dunster Beach today.  Footpath to Blue Anchor is flooded, understand there are a number of Turnstone along that stretch (I saw a couple there a week or so ago).

The road through Dunster chalets is closed but you can still access the site.  I heard, and my friend saw, the Kingfisher and we also saw a Goldcrest and a solitary Canada Goose.  On the beach were both types of Black Backed Gulls, also Herring & Black Headed plus Shelduck in the water, Oystercatchers and the more unusual sighting was 3 Brent Geese (at the Golf Course end of the chalets at around 1pm).

In the fields by the farm the farmer has put sheep in the field on the right where the Wigeon often are.  Not one wigeon was there only a few Mallard and lots of Pied Wagtails.  In a distant field were some Curlews and moving between the fields were 3 Little Egrets.

Please use this forum to mention any interesting sighting you have had.

Thanks – Kay

Kay BullenKay Bullen
    Participant

Hi Everyone – I understand Penduline Tits, Hen Harriers, Merlin and Twite have been at Steart this week.  Let me know if anyone gets the chance to visit and see them.  Best wishes Kay

Kay BullenKay Bullen
    Participant

Hi Everyone.  I have been checking for any local sightings.  I understand there is an Eastern Yellow Wagtail being seen at Steart (Steart Gate?).  Also a tentative id of a bird at Wimbleball suggests there is a Tundra Bean Goose around – seen 4th December.

As for me some Fieldfares at Dunster Beach – although chalets are closed to none owners.  Now the leaves have gone I am getting some good sightings of Great Spotted Woodpecker, in the summer I often only hear them.

Let me know if you see anything exciting or post here.  I will be sorting the November sightings soon, just waiting a few days in case there are any more.

Best wishes

Kay

Kay BullenKay Bullen
    Participant

Visited Bats Castle from Nutcombe Bottom yesterday.  Saw Ravens, Stonechats, Fieldfares, a Kestrel and a Green Woodpecker in flight.  Later saw several Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

Up at Hopcott a few days ago saw several Bullfinches and then further along 4 Red Deer hinds crossed the track just ahead of me.

Kay BullenKay Bullen
    Participant

If only I’d had a camera handy, Female Black Redstart on my bird bath, then a minute or so later she was back on the bird bath and joined by a Grey Wagtail.  What a picture that would have made.  Will I seem greedy hoping that a male Black Redstart will appear as well.  Fingers crossed.

Kay BullenKay Bullen
    Participant

Saw my first Fieldfares of the season up on North Hill this afternoon.  They were feeding on the holly berries seaward side of Selworthy Beacon.

Kay BullenKay Bullen
    Participant

The Grey Wagtail has visited my garden this morning,  having seen one regularly last winter I hoped for some visits this winter.  It perched on the bird bath and then the lawn.  Fingers still crossed for a Black Redstart.

Pam PettitPam Pettit
    Participant

Excellent birding at Stolford this morning, 29 species in all, highlights being Brent Geese, Black-tailed Godwit, Pintail, Gadwall, Dunlin, Redshank and Curlew.  Hundreds of Shelduck.  A timely outing before lockdown!

IT ChampionsIT Champions
    Keymaster

Dipper at Wimbleball

Dipper at Wimbleball

Kay BullenKay Bullen
    Participant

Dipper, this am, Dunster Castle grounds near A39 by overflow.  Grey Wagtails also seen here last week.  3 Buzzards calling nearby.

IT ChampionsIT Champions
    Keymaster

Hi Kay.  Good to see. I apologise because I have not seen anything terribly unusual. Nice weather yesterday and I saw three buzzards in a group beginning to rise on the thermals. They seemed to come from approximately Whitecross.

Viewing 14 replies - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.